Fiber Optic Communications and Networking Module
The Fiber Optic Communications and Networking Module is Industrial Fiber Optics' newest fiber optic technology module. It's a 10-activity, intermediate-level product developed for teaching at a higher level than other modules, emphasizing fiber optic communications and networking technology. The curriculum addresses the most recent advances in the rapidly changing fiber communications and networking technology fields.
Curriculum subjects include: fundamentals of fiber optic technology; optical fiber manufacture; optical fiber construction: single-and multi-mode; dispersion and attenuation; fiber cable comparisons; generation III & IV fiber connection technology; fusion splicing techniques; fiber couplers and optical power splitters; wavelength division multiplexing; and fiber optic tools, testing and test equipment.
The module curriculum guide is a comprehensive manual comprising 10 exciting activities, with technical reading assignments for each. The accompanying Fiber Optic Reference Guides contains 14 chapters with several hundred illustrations in 199 pages. An extensive list of references and a working glossary of fiber optic terms are included.
Each activity features: real-world applications; hands-on working experience and experiments with fiber optics and associated components; problem solving and student worksheets; homework assignments and investigative research; and web fiber optic tours and projects.
Experiments and activities include:
- Versatile curriculum format (metric and SAE dimensions)
- 10 comprehensive and challenging activities
- Full-color student manual and instructor guide w/answer sheets
- Completely self-contained curriculum
- Curriculum pretest and post test
- Instructor's manual with color-coded answer sheets
- Solid-state, low profile, surface-mount transceivers with audio and video transmission capabilities
- Low-voltage transceiver operation with optical detection
- Multiplexed switching input/output transceiver
- Low-power LED technology for safety
- 3 transmit wavelength operations
The Communications and Networking Module comes complete with three fiber optic wide-bandwidth video transceivers, 110 VAC- to-12 VDC power adapters*, 15 2-meter 1000 Ám core plastic fibers, 15 fiber splices, 30 ST fiber connectors, crimping tool for splices and connectors, 40 Ám and 3 mm polishing film, optical inspection scope, index-matching gel, DC motor, optical multiplexer, fiber cutter, polishing puck, polishing plate, polishing slurry, ST barrel connector, 1 x 2 fiber star coupler, 1, 3, and 10- meter fiber optic cables, fiber optic multi-meter, two dynamic microphones, two AM/FM radios, scale, infrared indicator card, coax cable, hot knife and stand, Micro-Strip® fiber stripper, photonics wall chart, two Fiber Optic Reference Guides, two permanently bound student manuals and an instructor's manual in a sturdy 3-ring binder.
- Color picture and sound signals over fiber
- Optical fiber characterization
- Losses in optical fiber
- Fiber optic switching networks
- Optical and electrical multiplexing
- Fiber termination polishing and splicing
- Infrared light conversion
- Use of fiber optic couplers (splitters)
*220 VAC adapters will be furnished upon request.
Click picture above for larger image
Part Number: IF 527A